We are excited to open enrollment for the 2021 AIGA NY Early Career Mentorship Program!
Each year, AIGA NY connects a select group of professionals from the design industry and allied fields with individuals who are starting off in their careers to help them accelerate their career, personal and leadership growth. The program is free and is open to both AIGA NY and non-AIGA NY members.
Interested in joining the 2021 cohort as a mentor or a mentee
Apply by completing this form: Deadline is April 14, 2021.
Who would be a great fit for the program?
Ideal mentor profile:
- A highly motivated professional in design or a related field including digital strategy, product management, business design, consulting
- Willingness to share skills, knowledge, and expertise
- Demonstrates a positive attitude and acts as a positive role model
- Takes a personal interest in the mentoring relationship
- Exhibits enthusiasm in the field
- Passionate about ongoing learning and growth in the field
- Sets and meets ongoing personal and professional goals
- Values the opinions and initiatives of others
- Well connected in the industry they are in (healthy social capital)
- Well versed in issues/initiatives around diversity, inclusion, people/culture
Ideal mentee profile:
- A highly motivated early career design professional (less than 5 years experience
- Driven professional in the design industry or someone looking to make career moves into/out of the design industry
- Enthusiastic about career, personal and leadership growth and/or skills development
- Takes responsibility for their own learning — A self-starting type that is proactively thinking about what they want to learn more
- Respectful and open-minded; Flexible and desire to learn
Our year begins with a meet-and-greet kick-off gathering on May 6, 2021. Mentors and mentees will be matched based on needs and interest. For the first three months, the program provides a suggested structure of once-a-month meet-ups with guides and facilitates support for fostering a mentorship relationship. Mentors and mentees have access to select AIGA NY events and network of professionals. As the relationship progresses, the program steps back, and individual mentors and mentees set their own pace and may continue based on individual needs. We expect mentors and mentees to commit to a minimum of 3 months, with a minimum of one meeting per month. All meeting times will be decided individually between the mentor and mentee. The program will provide actionable resources on an on-going basis and support as needed to foster a productive and impactful mentorship experience.